Our UUCC History
Congregation History from 1950 The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Columbia, or UUFC, was originally incorporated in 1950 by a few individuals and families seeking a liberal religious presence in Columbia. During its earliest years, meetings were held in private homes, but as the congregation grew, schools, other church buildings, or social clubs provided a meeting space.
The roots of the Unitarian tradition in Columbia, South Carolina go much farther back, however. Please see Early Scholarly History of UUFC. From 1980 to 2015, the UUFC grew in numbers and became the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Columbia (UUCC). It has had five ministers: Rev. Christine Robinson, Rev. Mark Allstrom, Rev. Thom Payne (interim), Rev. Patrick Price, and Rev. Dr. Neal Jones. (See Congregation History from 1950)
We have become a vital community with a reputation for activism and a strong commitment to social justice and human rights. We have a strong religious education program for children, youth, and adults. Our building, formerly The Tree of Life Synagogue, has served us well with a few cosmetic touches and is awaiting its next phases of expansion to optimize our growth in programs and membership.
Along with more than 1,000 other member UU congregations in the United States and Canada, our Congregation benefits from the leadership and support of the Unitarian Universalist Association.