A Holiday Message from UUA President Susan Frederick-Gray
Latest News on Immigration Justice and the UUA
UUA’s public witness campaign changes name after criticism that ‘Standing on the Side of Love’ privileged able-bodied people.
White supremacy is the idea that white people are better and more deserving of wealth, power, and privilege than people of color. White supremacy pervades our culture, institutions, and relationships. It is a self-perpetuating system that continues to fuel colonialism, exploitation, oppressions, inequities, and brutalities that people of color experience.
More resources can be found here at UUA.org and below.
Expose the Impact of White Supremacy
Communicate with others about the harm caused to people and communities of color by different expressions of white supremacy (systemic, overt, microaggressive).
- Look at national racial disparity statistics. How does the research finding of “two Americas” play out in your locality?
- Share and discuss eight one-minute videos that unpack systemic racism in employment, wealth disparities, infant mortality, housing, education, environmental health, incarceration, and health care access.
- Read and respond to “10 Insidious Ways White Supremacy Shows Up in Our Everyday Lives” on the Everyday Feminism website.
Centering voices of people of color helps to destabilize white supremacy as the dominant cultural norm in a UU setting and beyond. Use these collections to share the voices of Unitarian Universalists of color:
- Packet of worship and religious eduction resources (PDF) created by Unitarian Universalists of color for The Promise and the Practice, a campaign to support the UUA commitment to Black Lives of Unitarian Universalism (BLUU).
- Centering: Navigating Race, Authenticity, and Power in Ministry, edited by Mitra Rahnema (Skinner House, 2017); essays and responses from Unitarian Universalist religious professionals of color; UUA Common Read 2017-18 with discussion guide
- Voices from the Margins edited by Jacqui James and Mark Morrison-Reed (Skinner House, 2012); a compilation of readings
- Black Lives Matter collection of readings on the online UUA Worship Web