The nursery provides care during the service for infants through age 2 on most Sundays. Days when no CYRE is offered, such as Multi-Generational Services, the Nursery is available for children up to age 3. The Nursery is available from 10:30 am to 12:30 pm on Sundays. Child care may also be provided for other congregational events. A registration form (linked above) is also required for your little ones who will be enjoying our Nursery.
Preschool Curriculum 2017/18
Ages 3 to 4 years
Spirit Play combines the Preschool and K – 2 classes. Spirit Play™ uses a Montessori style classroom and fosters a spiritual community of children, where each child’s unique learning style is valued and supported.
We see the purpose of religious education as helping children in living into their own answers to the existential questions: Where did we come from? What are we doing here? How do we choose to live our lives? What happens when we die?
We use the Montessori approach and Berryman’s morning-as-worship approach for the structure of the morning. As in Montessori, the key elements are the prepared classroom environment and the teachers. These elements free the children to work at their own pace on their own issues after an initial lesson or story within a safe and sacred structure shepherded by two adults.
The Stories use inclusive language and include our Seven UU Principles (called promises in this class), UU liturgical lessons and worship traditions, and the Six Sources of our faith:
- Transcendent wonder and awe inspired by the “spirit of life” known by many names;
- Wisdom in historical world religions and in native and earth-centered traditions;
- Traditional stories specific to our Jewish and Christian heritages;
- Words and deeds of women and men who use justice, compassion and love to build a better world;
- Humanist teachings that heed the guidance of reason and the results of science;
- The interdependent web and our part in it.
Register at any time for CYRE 2017 – 2018 by clicking on the link below.
Please print the form, complete and mail to:
2701 Heyward Street
Columbia SC 29205