Memorial Service Coordinator
The main responsibility of the Memorial Service Coordinator will be to coordinate memorial services for Members and Friends of UUCC as called upon.
The coordinator will work with the administrator, the Worship Committee Chair, and the chosen officiant helping the family to plan the service covering the following points.
- Consult with administrator to learn date and discuss plans family has expressed (administrator will have gone over policies and discussed inurnment procedures in our memorial garden)
- Establish if deceased was a member or non-member. Follow administrator’s instructions regarding expenses.
- Check with administrator about payment due officiant
- Consult with Worship Committee regarding officiant
- How many expected at the service
- Do they want special music or have musicians in mind
- Do they have special readings, poems, or speakers they would like
- Any special requests for OOS
- Follow through to be sure the OOS information is given to the administrator in time for printing
- What kind of reception do they want advising them what we typically provide (alcohol is provided at their expense)
Coordinator will also manage the following:
- Advise and update the Caring Committee Chair of services upon learning the date and details
- Prepare a room for the family of the deceased (arranged with the administrator)
- Be available to the family to discuss flowers and make suggestions where we usually display flowers and church members that may be available to do the flowers
- What plans do they have for flowers after the service
- Check with those members of UUCC that help with flower arranging for their availability
- Make sure there is a guest book and a proper place for it and that it needs to be at church prior to service
- Discuss with the family about their desire to display pictures or memorabilia
- Coordinate with the officiant of the service and the Chair of Tech Committee to be sure all details are taken care of such as sound, Power Point Projector/Screen, podium placements, special seating, etc.
- Contact head usher to arrange for ushers and procedure for ushers to dismiss for reception line
- Plan for reserved seating for family
With assistance of Kitchen Committee Chair
- Arrange for Table Setup with Custodian/Administrator as soon as the service date is available
- Cover tables with white cloths and clear plastic covers
- All food preparation and service
- Assist with clean up
With assistance of Caring/Hospitality Committee Chair
- Contact members and friends to donate the food chosen for the menu
- Assist in serving and clean up
It would also be the Memorial Service Coordinator’s responsibility to secure funds from the proper budget to purchase the necessary supplies for these services.
*(See Board Minutes, September 2018)