Music Coordinator Position Description
The Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Columbia
The UUCC music program coordinator plays a crucial role in the sustainability and revitalization of this congregation. The music coordinator must be a visionary who creatively uses music for leading and retaining existing members, engaging visitors, and for community outreach and engagement.
The music coordinator is a leader who can communicate their vision in a way that inspires others to reach their full musical potential. The part-time music coordinator will plan the music program, in consultation with the minister and the worship committee, and work with them to define the vision for the music program, which includes providing opportunities for all to participate meaningfully and joyfully.
- Work with all genre of music, including contemporary music and traditional hymns, in a setting where musical diversity is celebrated.
- Incorporate music, video clips and other creative elements designed to increase congregational engagement and visitor/guest participation.
- Schedule adult choir performances every other week after consulting with the adult choir director.
- Develop musical talent like youth choir, men’s chorus, women’s groups, beginner’s choir, instrumental solos and groups, outside musicians
- Recruit and schedule special music, soloists, ensembles and guest musicians.
- Arrange for a piano accompanist and song leader for Sunday services
- Select and provide for special music (e.g., solo and group performers, prelude, and postlude)
- Submit details for Order of Service by Wednesday of previous week, following as closely as possible the speaker’s topic of the week.
- Administer the music budget
- Collaborate with Worship Committee to seek constructive feedback from the congregation by conducting a member survey twice each year about the efficacy of music program; summarize results; and compile recommendations that are shared with the UUCC Board of Trustees.
Abilities and Experience:
- Experience with producing and directing special events, programs or musicals.
- Creativity and patience in scheduling adult and junior choirs, and other special musical groups.
- Proven team player with a positive attitude, including relational skills and an enthusiastic presence and the ability to work well in a collaborative environment
- Strong organizational and communication skills, with the ability to engage and motivate others.
- Musical knowledge of a wide range of musical styles necessary and demonstrable ability to adapt to different musical styles (traditional and contemporary).
- Skilled in choral, vocal, and instrumental direction with proficiency in at least one musical instrument that can accompany congregational singing, preferably keyboard/piano or guitar.
- Demonstrated excellence as a musical leader, having grown a music program.
- Adequate vocal skills to lead other musicians, preferably as soloist
- Experience with technical aspects of contemporary services: for example, soundboards, PowerPoint software, theater lights, video editing, etc. is desirable.
- An appreciation of liberal religious traditions; UU membership preferred
Compensation: $20/hour for up to 36 hours a month/12 months’ employment, paid monthly.
Flexible work schedule.
Estimated Start Date: August 1, 2017
June 27, 2017