What to Expect in Worship
Now that the pandemic is behind us and life has returned to relative normalcy, we look forward to seeing you in person at our Sunday morning services. You will now enjoy the fellowship and witness the inspiring sermons and music in the live setting that has become so comfortable and familiar to each of us.
If you still do not yet feel ready to join us in the sanctuary you can still watch from the comfort and safety of your home. You can access the streamed service using a computer, tablet, or smart phone. Simply follow the steps listed below:
1. Open the browser on your Internet-connected device (computer, laptop, smartphone).
2. Click on this link or paste it In the search bar, hit ENTER: https://www.youtube.com/
3. After 10:45, click on the video “Sunday Service” for the current date.
4. Watch the service being streamed from the UUCC sanctuary
A typical service at the UUCC includes hymns, readings, choir, communal sharing of joys and concerns, and a sermon. However, these are not typical times and our interactions and rituals will be limited (e.g. no singing) Members and friends are encouraged to gather early and to stay after the service to renew connections, although at this time, these interactions must be done outside..
We gather in worship to find meaning and live more deeply. Worship creates connections within, among, and beyond us, calling us to our better selves, calling us to live with wisdom and compassion. Elements of a typical pre-pandemic service included:
- Words of welcome
- Lighting a flaming chalice, the symbol of our faith
- A multi-generational segment, such as a “story for all ages”
- Music, both instrumental and vocal and in a variety of styles
- A time for lifting up the joys and concerns of the congregation
- A meditation or prayer
- Readings—ancient or contemporary
- A sermon given by a professional minister, a guest speaker, or a member of the congregation
- An offering, collecting financial donations for the congregation or for justice work in the community.
From time to time, our services incorporate celebrations, multi-generational plays and pageants, longer musical performances, and coming-of-age ceremonies.